With time running out for negotiations, we need to lobby harder than ever to secure a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal.
If a deal is achieved with the EU, Theresa May is likely to try to push it through parliament very quickly. MPs would have little time to call for a People’s Vote. We are therefore urging all our supporters to write to or email their MP now to show them that their constituents are demanding a People’s Vote – with an option to Remain.
Find your MP, and their email address or postal address here:www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps
Always send emails to their parliamentary email address as these are logged, as is a lack of a response. Copy in the constituency email address if you like.
VERY IMPORTANT – Ensure you include your full address and postcode (best at the start of the email) in every email or letter. MPs will only look at correspondence from their own constituents.
- Try to keep your letter or email short, polite and to the point.
- Explain why you are unhappy about Brexit and why you demand a People’s Vote. If possible, use personal examples of how Brexit will adversely affect you or others in the constituency.
- Try to avoid template letters but if you are struggling, we have a sample letter below for you to use as a starting point. Please personalise this letter for maximum impact.
- Don’t forget to follow up. If you receive an unsatisfactory response or no response, challenge it. Whilst in writing mode, you can also write to Lords and MEPs or to Theresa May herself.
What Else Can I Do to Help?
- Visit your MP at one of their surgeries
- Write to you local newspaper
- Change public perception by talking to people and challenging perceptions of Brexit
- Take part in Bath for Europe campaigning activities – details are on our Facebook page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign the People’s Vote petition at https://www.peoples-vote.uk
Sample Letter Template
Dear [NAME OF MP]
Over two years on from the Brexit referendum, it is now clear that the benefits of leaving the European Union that were promised to the British public by the leave campaign are never going to materialise.
Democracy did not end in June 2016, it is an ongoing process, and as the former Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, David Davis said, “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”
Given the shambolic nature of Brexit, the impossible and contradictory aims asserted by its proponents, and the catastrophic outcomes, I insist that you support the calls to put it back to the people in a further referendum with the option to remain.
A further referendum would act as ratification to confirm if the British people still wish to go down this road, or if they have decided to change their minds. This is something Brexit supporters should also wish for, after all, one of the main reasons they claimed they wished to leave the EU was to return sovereignty back to the people of the UK, even though parliament confirmed that it had never been lost.
There is no type of Brexit that will leave this country better off, only degrees of how damaged this country will be as a result ofit.
As your constituent I demand you support calls for a People’s Vote, with the option to remain.
One thought on “Get writing now to secure a People’s Vote!”
Comments are closed.